Finding ways to stay cool during the Summer can really make Summer that much more fun!
When I was a kid, our options were:
1) the sprinkler ; usually a fan-type one that we just jumped back and forth over
2) Slip ‘N Slide ; long strip of yellow plastic that we ran and slid down as the water from the sprinkler fell on it to make it slippery
3) a trampoline ; you either tied the hose to one corner of the trampoline and had the water run into the middle where every bounce sent the giant puddle into the air, drenching everyone around. If you happened to have the “mesh” trampoline, we would put that awesome fan sprinkler underneath and have it spray through the mesh. Add some dish soap, and you had a slippery good time.
4) waterballoons ; balloons filled with water and tossed at your friends or an unsuspecting passerbyer
5) waterguns ; this was where the Super Soakers made their appearance!
6) swimming pool ; you had to make friends with the kid who had the only pool in the neighbourhood
7) the waterslides ; hopefully there was a Stay-At-Home-Mom with a mini-van that could take a pile of kids
There are so many options now that I’m a parent.
All of the above options mentioned, are still available, but the sprinklers have improved and are WAY more fun for the kids.
There are water tables, a variety of pools to choose from, and inflatable water gyms/ slides/ castles etc.
Other than buying a pre-made water toy, you can fashion your own DIY ways to keep the little cool this summer.
1) Kids car wash ; Lowes has a how-to guide online here.
2) Water blob ; check out this tutorial from Homemade Toast
3) water filled air mattresses; fill, lay back and enjoy the coolness without getting wet
4) sponge balls; Here’s the DIY instructions from Livingnspired
6) a kiddie pool; the whole family can enjoy this too!
7) a good old fashioned water fight; no one is safe if one of these breaks out!
What creative ways have you come up with to keeping the family cool when it gets hot out?